Boosting Your Link Juice With Semalt
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Why are links so important?
- Dos and Don’ts of link building
- More ways to boost your link juice
Links are important to Google and it should be vital to you as well. A link or hyperlink is simply a connection from one website to another site or from one site's webpage to another webpage in that same website.
There are two types of links you should know about - outbound links and inbound links. Outbound links are the links that go out from your own webpage to another webpage. Inbound links on the other hand are references from other webpages to yours. Inbound links are also sometimes called backlinks.
The core of Google’s ranking algorithm is based on links, so it is really hard to rank on Google TOP without links.
Links have been essential from the inception of Google, but the rules that govern their use in search engine optimization have been evolving. SEOs have no choice but to adapt by increasing their skills, being more efficient, more detailed and creating more and more tools to ensure they and their clients stay relevant in Google's eyes.
Why Are Links So Important?
- 1. Links help you rank on Google TOP: It has been confirmed that the two most important factors for ranking on Google are content and link. Google considers the quality and quantity of the links attached to your website to determine how you should be ranked.
Before Google Penguin came into effect, SEOs just got links from anywhere and everywhere in order to rank highly, but after April 2012, everything changed forever.
Since Google also wants to keep its customers, it ensures it gives its users the most relevant results in the shortest possible time. So, when it was discovered that SEOs in the past were abusing the use of links, Google changed how links should be applied and this change came with serious consequences for link abusers.
Now you can't just get links from anywhere except you want to get hit with a Google penalty. You must ensure that the links that come to you are relevant to the content on your webpage. You must also ensure that they are coming from high-quality websites as well.
Many black hat SEOs have taken advantage of this fact to dent their competitors' images. Since they know that Google will slam you with a penalty if you have a lot of low-quality links pointing to your site, they then create a lot of spammy links pointing to your site.
This sounds like a nightmare but do not worry, Semalt has you covered. Semalt has been in the business for a long time and we are always at alert to stop those spammy links from ruining your reputation on the web.
- 2. Links help you get indexed on Google: If Google doesn't even know you exist, how can you possibly rank? Google makes use of links to discover new pages on the web.
Google crawls the links between the individual web pages on a website and the links that exist between separate websites. This is called web crawling.
When Google crawls your webpage, it extracts the content on your page and adds it to its indexes. This is how Google decides if your page should be ranked highly or not for relevant keywords.
- 3. Links can make you an authority in your niche: The more other websites refer and link to the content of your website, the more credible and powerful you appear, not only to Google, but to your audience as well.
- 4. Links drive traffic to your website: As more and more relevant webpages link to the pages on your website, your chances of getting more traffic increases. This adds to your ranking points and also gives you more leads that can be converted into paying customers.
Do's and Don'ts of Link Boosting
Since a Google penalty is something you don't want, there might be some gray areas of Link Building that you want to be sure about.
We have compiled some techniques used in link building and we discuss the things you should and should not do in order to help you avoid the fatal Google penalties while helping you achieve your desired position on Google TOP.
- 1. Web directory linking: When you add your site to industry-based directories or to web directories attached to websites that are relevant to your niche, it helps in ranking you higher on Google TOP. You should actually do this since these directories also provide some useful information to your leads – just remember that Google works with relevancy.
On the other hand, you should never add your site to just any web directory simply because you want to get a backlink. In fact, there are some directories that Google has removed from its search results just because they are not relevant to internet users.
Adding your website to directories like these or directories which have no relevance to your audience will negatively impact your Google TOP ranking.
- 2. Link exchange: Sure, you can do link exchange as long as it is sensible and valuable to users and also relevant to the topic of the content.
Never do reciprocal linking excessively or form an alliance with other sites only for the sake of link exchange. Google's algorithm is designed to fish out pages and websites guilty of excessive cross-linking and the Google penalty blow will hit sooner than expected.
- 3. Link purchase: Instead of paying for links, you can create top-quality content. Investing in top-notch content will always attract organic backlinks.
Asides helping you create high-quality content, Semalt also has many techniques of promoting your website in ways that naturally give you backlinks.
Google has clearly made it known that the purchase of backlinks in order to boost your ranking on TOP is a breach of its guidelines.
Never purchase backlinks! And if you have ever bought links in the past, you should get rid of them ASAP because old backlinks can still haunt your rankings.
- 4. Guest posting: Yes, you or other people can write about your products on other websites and link back to your website but ensure that the links are created naturally.
When you do article marketing or guest posting, the anchor texts should never be stuffed with commercial keywords.
- 5. Commenting on blog posts or forums: You are free to share a relevant link to your website when you provide a valuable contribution to a discussion on a blog or forum that is relevant to what you offer on your website.
However, you should not abuse this opportunity by using commercial keywords in your anchor texts.
You should also never post irrelevant or non-valuable comments with optimized links either in the body of the comment or the signature. An example is this:
Thanks for sharing!
John Doe's Real Estate Company
More Ways To Boost Your Link Juice
- 1. Build effective relationships: You should build good relationships if you want to boost your links. The more you are known in your industry, the more natural links will come to your site.
By actively participating and contributing relevant posts and comments on industry-related groups on forums, blogs or social media platforms, your chances of building effective relationships increase.
The more you are known, the more an increasing number of people in your industry will be willing to naturally give you backlinks.
- 2. Simply ask: There is no harm in asking for backlinks from your family, friends, colleagues or clients who have blogs or sites that are relevant to your business. As long as it is not overdone, you are good to go. And remember to ask for links that are embedded in content rather than sidebar or footer links.
- 3. Start blogging: If you don't already have one, start blogging today. Studies suggest that websites that blog constantly have 97% more inbound links than sites that don't blog. Yes, that's a whopping 97% more link juice for you.
- 4. Create great content: Nothing gives you more opportunity to create natural links or receive quality inbound links in an organic way like great content.
Asides checking other technical features of your site (like loading speed, design, keyword density, navigation, etc.) and other parameters for measuring user experience (like bounce rate, click-through-rate or CTR, average time spent on site, etc.), Google is very particular about content.
With Semalt's free website analytics tool, you can check your website's uniqueness rating. Simply type in your domain or subdomain in the “Enter domain / ID” space and click on “Search”.
Afterwards, click on page uniqueness check.
If you find out that your uniqueness rating is average (51-80%) or below average (0-50%), Semalt can help you boost the uniqueness of your page which in turn will boost your link juice.
And if you want professional animated video content for your business, Semalt will also create awesome explainer videos for your business which will help you get more links to your site when you place these videos on other sites and link them to your website.
- 5. Write testimonials: There are many businesses that give you the opportunity to tell others about your experience using their products and/or services. This is a win-win scenario for both parties. The businesses in context gain more customer trust while you can get a backlink and even some extra traffic from their site.
At Semalt, we are committed to making the businesses of our clients prosperous. We know that links are important in ranking you on Google TOP, and for this reason, we have created dedicated tools and services that ensure your business is always visible to customers. Get in touch with Semalt today and see your business grow in leaps and bounds.